Covid 19 update
Last updated 24th June 2020
The COVID-19 pandemic places an added level of complexity and concern for patient care. The health and wellbeing of our community, staff and clients is a priority for us. We are doing what we can to continue to support you as well as comply with containment advice from the Victorian Government’s Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and the Australian Physiotherapy Association (APA).
Face to Face Physiotherapy
The Department of Health’s advice considers physiotherapy an essential service. From a national perspective, we recommend that members use their professional judgment when determining if a face-to-face consultation is most appropriate.
Physio-led group exercise classes
Our group exercise classes resume from 26th June 2020. We will be aligning with Victorian Government’s DHHS advice, with relevant infection control principles applied. The APA’s view is that physiotherapy group interventions are permissible in
each state and territory provided they adhere to necessary social distancing and hygiene precautions.
The APA recommends that Physiotherapists apply the following limits in group classes with a social distancing of 4 metres squared per person enforced:
- Allow an average 4m2 per person in a group exercise space as a guide PLUS physical distancing of equipment/mats so patients are kept more than 1.5m apart.
- Staggered class times to minimise cross over of patients exiting/entering group exercise spaces and the waiting room.
- Allow adequate time for a class to be conducted safely with respect to cleaning of equipment after every single client use. Class times may vary to accommodate this.
The APA recommends that Physios use their professional judgement to decide about the appropriateness of offering face-to-face sessions including group classes for vulnerable members of the community. Telehealth consultations are to be considered for those clients.
How is EBR Physio responding?
Practice Good Hygiene
– Frequent hand washing your hands with soap and water
– Provision of hand santiser throughout the clinic
– coughing or sneezing into a tissue or elbow and washing your hands
– social distancing – staying 1.5 metres from others when not providing direct care
– cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces and objects
Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched surfaces
– Use of disinfectant solution/spray to clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces between each episode of patient care.
– Clean/disinfect surfaces in areas that patients have direct contact.
EBR Physio Gym
– ‘EBR Physio Gym Use -Checklist’ to be read and agreed to by all attendees.
– Hand sanitising station provided
– Social distancing of 4 metres squared per person enforced in a group exercise space.
– physical distancing of equipment/mats so patients are kept more than 1.5m apart.
– Staggered class times to minimise cross over of patients exiting/entering group exercise space.
– Allowance of adequate time for a class to be conducted safely with respect to cleaning of equipment after every single client use. Class times may vary to accommodate this.
It is important to download the COVIDSafe app to help stay safe. The app speeds up the process of finding people who have been in close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19. Help stop the spread.
Find out more or download the COVIDSafe app.
Stay up-to-date with the latest COVID-19 announcements by downloading the Australian Government’s coronavirus app.
Search ‘Coronavirus Australia’ in the Apple App store and on Google Play or visit www.australia.gov.au